Search This Blog

Saturday 5 April 2014

You are Pregnant!!!!

Nothing can prepare you for those words “You are pregnant”. Those words definitely hit me hard and in a manner I was never prepared for. Ideally one would imagine that when you hear those words you would be as excited as when you said “I do” but that wasn’t the case with me. I wasn’t grinning ear to ear or smiling like I had achieved nirvana. I was scared, really scared.
Now don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t an accidental pregnancy, this was something I had wanted all along. Having been married for three years with the love of my life, relatively well settled with a well-paying job & a very supportive family, I thought I was ready for the big leap. I had to do a fair bit of convincing with my husband because he felt we should wait longer. However, when you have a gynecologist mom who constantly talks to you about how your biological clock is ticking and narrates horror stories of how couples who were busy working through their 20’s and early 30’s struggle with IVF treatments to have a child, the decision is more or less made. I was determined to have a child before I turned 30 and someone up their was obviously listening to me or my gynecologist mom very closely and it happened.
Now if everything was going as I had planned why was I not jumping with joy? And to make matters worse I felt guilty about not being over the moon after listening to those magic words that I had been waiting to hear (you are pregnant).All that information and all that thinking was too much for me and I remember crying two days in a row. And now two months into my pregnancy when I look back, I feel I was just being too hard on myself. It is ok to be scared, it is after all a life changing decision. Just when I thought I had achieved a lot by learning how to manage my house and finances, I realize I will be giving birth to my very own little person who I will be responsible for. So it’s ok to doubt yourself initially and be scared. It was only a matter of time before the big news sunk in & there I was all happy and excited.
So if you have just heard the three magic words and are not half as excited as you had imagined, RELAX!! Give yourself some time to digest the big news and you shall be celebrating soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment