Search This Blog

Thursday 24 April 2014

How to combat skin breakout and stretch marks during pregnancy?

This is something I had always heard people say to women who were pregnant, “You are glowing”. Far from glowing, here I am struggling with skin problems. I have always had clear skin, never really had to struggle with acne or other such skin problems even during my teens (can’t take much credit for it though, only have my genes to thank for it). So this sudden breakout of acne and skin issues had me really upset.

I thought it would settle down on its own but the acne seemed persistent and refused to go away. Spoke to Mom about it & she suggested that the skin problem could be on account of the medication I was put on during the first trimester (was advised Progestron after I experienced pain in the first month, to avoid miscarriage). She advised that I start using Saslic Face wash and Erytop cream on the affected areas on the face. I have seen a marked improvement in my skin in the last one week. The acne may not have completely disappeared but we are making progress slowly and steadily and I can see my face clearing out again. So once again Mommy to the rescue!!! :)

I also noticed that I had begun to get stretch marks on my back. No prizes for guessing what I did next, I called up Mommy :)
Well, my mom is someone who is pretty straightforward. She is definitely NOT one of those who would sugar coat things before telling you. So without really bothering about all the fuss I was creating about stretch marks, she gave me a very simple reply. There is not much you can do about stretch marks, whether you get them or not really depends on your genes (yes, the same genes that gave me the clear skin). My mom claims she never got any stretch marks from her two pregnancies so it was obviously my Daddy’s side of genes doing their work. She suggested remedies that could help slightly lighten those stretch marks (not magically disappear as I had hoped).
- Cream called Luciara, which has to be applied to wet skin each morning after a bath
- Break open a Evion capsule (Vitamin E capsules available at chemist) and mix this with some olive oil and apply this on the stretch marks. Better to do this at night before you sleep so that the application can stay on for longer
- Apart from the above, cocoa butter creams used regularly could also help lighten the stretch marks
Haven’t started the stretch mark treatment yet, just got these inputs this morning. Shall keep you posted on how well it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment