Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Good advice & not so good advice that comes your way when you are pregnant!!


So you are pregnant & obviously the whole family is very excited. And now is the time for some ADVISE, no actually lots of advice about food, your lifestyle, what to expect, doctors and a host of other things.

You are pregnant you should start eating enough for two individuals now!!

You should probably think about giving up that exercise for the next 8 to 9 months!!
Don’t drive!!!

Don’t listen to very loud music!!!

Well these are just some of the many things I was told which I obviously chose to ignore. Don’t mistake me for a snob or miss know it all. I am all ears to good advice but anything that’s rational or logical.
The best advice I got was from our family doctor here in Mumbai. She said please don’t treat pregnancy like a disease; it’s a perfectly normal part of a woman’s life and most women sail through it. I think the most important task for anybody who is pregnant is to find a good Gynecologist who you are comfortable with and who is willing to answer all your queries without making them sound silly or frivolous. Don’t be afraid to ask and ask as many questions as you have in your head. Don’t follow advise from relatives blindly, sometimes it could do more harm than good.

In my case, I was lucky to have mum by my side. And I took her advise because it came from a qualified doctor, backed by logic and years of experience.
- She bust the popular myth that one needs to eat for two. No that’s not true, one should focus of eating a healthy diet, one that provides you all the necessary nutrients so yes those green leafy vegetable, dal cannot be ignored any more. Her instructions were very clear that I must not gain more than 1-1.5 kg a month if I desire a normal delivery. She asked me to supplement my regular diet with the following:
o Half a litre milk each day
o One whole egg
o Handful of walnuts and almonds
o A bowl of sprouts
o And my daily dose of iron tablet ( your doctor would prescribe you one)
o At least 2 helpings of fruits each day. Obviously this didn’t give me the license to gorge on my favorite fruits like mango and chikoo. These are still eaten in moderation since they are high in calories

- I was never big on exercising, but I enjoyed my evening walks. Mum gave me the green light on that, half an hour of exercise is actually recommended for pregnant women
o The feel good endorphins released during workout help combat those mood swings
o It also helps build stamina for labour
o And since digestion process slows down during pregnancy, causing gas and acidity, that half an hour of exercise could be your life saver
So don’t be afraid to ask, if the doctor says yes to your preferred form of exercise, go ahead and indulge

- What about sex? I know most women would be hesitant to ask this question. The answer to this question may differ depending on your situation and health. If you have medical issue your doctor may ask you to abstain for a while otherwise sex during pregnancy is completly normal. And yes, dont be afraid to ask your doctor till how long you must abstain, for all you know you are past that period and the doctor forgets to tell you :)
Check with your doctor rather than living in a make belief world that requires you to live the life of a saint over the next 9 months

Most of all listen to your body, it gives you the signs. Bombard the doctor with questions (that doesn’t mean calling the doctor in the middle of the night), ask ask ask till you have, if not all but most of your answers. Have fun and enjoy your pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment